Breaking News

The Day Elsie (95) Met Liam Gallagher


















Pensioner Elsie Swann meets two members of the pop supergroup Oasis and asks: "Who are you?"

Elsie, aged 95, was outside film studios in London when her carer, Christine Jenking, noticed Liam Gallagher and fellow band member Andy Bell leaving the building.

Mrs Jenking gathered the courage to ask the two pop stars if she could take a photograph of them with Elsie.

They happily obliged.But Elsie hadn't a clue who she was being photographed with."She was delighted to have her photograph taken, despite not knowing who Oasis were," said Mrs Jenking, the 53-year-old leisure and activity co-ordinator at Atherstone's Bracebridge Court old people's centre, who accompanied resident, Elsie, on an outing to London.

"I couldn't believe it when I saw them coming out of the building."There was only me and Elsie there - in the right place at the right time."I said 'excuse me, excuse me, but are you with Oasis?'"I felt really silly. I asked them if they minded if I took a photo of them with Elsie."The lads were lovely."

Elsie, though, couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.Mrs Jenking said: "She asked 'who are you?'

"Then she looked over at me and said 'you worry me, you do, talking to these strange men.'"It just summed up the generation gap between us."

The nonagenarian is a retired school cook who took evacuees into her home in Grendon, near Atherstone, during the war. Her grandchildren, Gareth and Helen, are said to have been impressed by Elsie's brush with celebrity.Mrs Jenking said: "They think it's great that their grandma has been photographed with two members of Oasis.

"I'd got my old camera with me and I was shaking like a leaf, but the lads were wonderful."They got into a car and even waved at Elsie as they drove off. They were smashing."

Mrs Jenking has now bought Elsie, who is partially sighted, an Oasis CD!

Source: www.iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk

3 comments

chris3001 said...

Hi
I'm Christine Jenking,I will treasure that moment I met Liam and Andy for the rest of my life. Elsie and I still chat about it. When I see the OASIS concerts it takes my breath away.....My only regret is that I didn't have my photo took with him, he was so nice!,I have written a poem for Liam. I will type it in the next comment. I've only recently come across this OASIS site-Love it!!!x

Anonymous said...

As I lay in my bed-sit in my early teens,
I stared at the ceiling in my 'melodious'surroundings, wearing my dated jeans,
Wondering what my fate would bring, was just a matter of time,
Would I share my songs with you?-Do they need to rhyme?
A frosty night, a full moon and stars,
By Christine Jenking
Inspired after watching Liam in his interview with Noel about his life experiences.
I gazed from my window,
Wishing I was up there! just me,with my music on Mars.

The years have passed before me,
More than a decade has gone by,
A fascinating imagination I'd always had-in my minds eye,
Truth is, in reality,I could make no prediction,
Although the colourful Merlin, who came into my dreams could!
God blessed me with this musical talent,of which I have enjoyed and strived,
Music is my love,and our songs have survived,
Once, only the stars in the night sky were the shiniest I could see,
But now as I stand before you fans,there are millions of more stars for me,
I want to really "thank you" for making my dreams come true,
So with this in mind, I have to say -"my next song is for you".

stopcryingyourheartout.com said...

Thanks very much

Louise