Breaking News

Jay-Z On His Love For Oasis' Wonderwall



Inside the last issue of the NME Magazine, that on sale on Wednesday 30 September, you'll find one of the more bizarre head-to-head interviews in NME's history: Jay-Z vs Ian Brown.

Here is a small extract from part one of the interview.


NME: You've done quite a few shows recently that have been ‘away crowds’. You're doing the show with Coldplay, you did Glastonbury.

JZ: That was something new for me: it was almost like we were conquering a territory. We came over and there were these tents, it was like war, you know!? There was all this banter, about hip-hop shouldn’t be here and then, at that point, I was like, ‘Man, should I not be here?’ I was like, ‘What have I gotten into?’

IB: But it turned out you got the biggest crowd Glastonbury had ever seen!

JZ: Yes, well, that is just what happens – that old line of the fence. But on the other side people were like, ‘Yes, come over, this is how we listen to music, we like hip-hop, we like everything, we like all types of music’. But the people in control of the press and the media, they all made it seem like it was a real thing, but once I played the short film at the beginning – about the people saying, ‘You shouldn’t play Glastonbury’ – when the crowd responded like ‘Nooooo!’, that was when I was, like, ‘Wooo!’

NME: We did an interview with Noel shortly after that and he said he didn’t mean it like that at all. You know, he’s into his hip-hop...

IB: I was surprised when he came out with that, knowing where Noel’s from. I thought, ‘Why would he have any problem?’ I couldn’t work out what he was trying to say. Even if he didn’t like hip-hop – which we know he does – why would he not think, ‘Well, there is a guy who comes from a place similar to me, but the American version, and look where he is’, and support it. I think when he was sat on the sofa that night, when it was on TV and the little film that you made came on, he must have been like, ‘Oh my God!’

NME: And you finished your show at the Roundhouse with Wonderwall.

JZ: Well, that is the irony of it! At my bar called The Spotted Pig that is, to this day, our theme song. The song, when everyone has had enough to drink...

IB: That is the song of the night.

JZ: That is the song of the night, exactly! ‘OK, put Wonderwall on now!’ Because we know the place goes off, you get everyone singing. It is brilliant, you have a fantastic time. So, you know, it was like, ‘Man, it is weird how it works out’. But it worked out.

IB: It worked out that he actually did you a favour, because if it was a war, you just took the country that week.

Check out this week's NME Magazine for part two of the interview.

Source: NME Magazine

Thanks to Dougie

No comments