Breaking News

Liam Gallagher Talks Drink, Drugs And The Brits











Liam Gallagher isn’t ready to hang up his tambourine just yet, as ShortList’s Luke Edwards found out when he met the music world’s most outspoken icon

Even through the heavy hotel door, the muffled Mancunian jabbering of Liam Gallagher is an intimidating sound. This is the man who has – between recording seven No 1 albums – fired a fire extinguisher at Paul Gascoigne and swung a cricket bat at his own brother. Suddenly, that question about monobrows we’ve got scrawled in our notebook doesn’t seem quite so clever. But, as we enter the large room, the atmosphere is surprisingly serene. Meeting our outstretched hand, the 37-year-old rock’n’roll legend, father and burgeoning fashion entrepreneur, who has just started his own clothing brand Pretty Green, greets us with an “All right, mate”.

Across a 20-year career, the former Oasis frontman has done it all, from headlining Glastonbury to irking Peter Kay at the Brit Awards. But, of course, there is an elephant in the room that we can’t help but mention before we start…

Was the recent conflict within Oasis a good thing?
Oasis ran its course. We stepped over that fine line. People in the band grew up and went different ways. He [Noel] wanted to be a certain way and I wanted to be another. He wanted to chill a bit – our kid’s not rock’n’roll, mate… I am. I’m still going for it ’til the day I die, without a doubt.

What would you do if you saw Noel?
I don’t wanna see him. But if I see him, who knows what would happen? I’ll probably end up f*ckin’ leatherin’ him.

Noel seems like he is mates with Russell Brand now…
They’re a f*cking match. Who do they remind me of? You remember that old politician, the weird little b*stard with the wife that were dead tall… Neil Hamilton! That’s who they look like.

What did you think of Blur reforming?
Them gigs weren’t as good as our gigs. No way. But, they’re all right. They’re in it for the money, aren’t they? The f*ckers. You won’t catch Oasis reforming, y’know. Never.

Do you maintain your own Twitter account or get someone to do it for you?
[Stands] I do it when people get f*ckin’ fresh, then I hit them, big time. It’s like a weapon, know what I mean? Just shuts a few people up. [Sits] But I don’t go, “Hey, I’ve just had a biscuit,” or, “Just tied my f*ckin’ shoe lace,” or, “I’ve just had my ninth sh*t of the day.” It’s f*ckin’ ridiculous.

Have you got anything else to say to Peter Kay [who insulted Liam at this year’s Brit Awards]?
[Stands again] On that subject [shouts], which is what I should have said on that f*ckin’ Twitter is, “Talking of knob, have you seen yours lately, you f*ckin’ fat c*nt?” Know what I mean? Bet he ain’t seen his for years, has he? But no, f*ck him, that is one c*nt who would get decked if I saw him on the street, believe you me.

You’re a Catholic man – do you believe in forgiveness, or God for that matter?
I’m pretty Zen-like. I believe in f*ckin’ feeling good and feeling positive and all that, and letting things go. Saying that, I’ve just said I’m gonna bite f*ckin’ Peter Kay’s head off when I see him next…

Do illegal music downloaders bother you?
Downloading’s the same as what I used to do – I used to tape the charts of the songs I liked [off the radio]. I don’t mind it. I hate all these big, silly rock stars who moan – at least they’re f*ckin’ downloading your music, you c*nt, and paying attention, know what I mean? You should f*ckin’ appreciate that – what are you moaning about? You’ve got f*ckin’ five big houses, so shut up.

When are you going to start touring with the new band?
Towards the end of this year. The album is written, we’re recording it in April for three weeks then we have a break, then go back in for another four weeks and it’ll be done by June. But it won’t be coming out ’til next year ’cos we’ve got some Oasis sh*t coming out later in the year. But we’re pushing to have a single out in October – so hopefully do some gigs around then.

What’s been the inspiration for the album?
Same as before. Just annihilating sh*t music. There’s enough inspiration out there, just looking at all these other sh*t bands. People are gonna be surprised, it’s a lot more musical than Oasis.

Which are the best and worst bands right now?
The best bands have gotta be Kasabian, the Arctic Monkeys are all right… that’s about it really. The worst? Oh, all that shit, Bloc Party – I don’t even know the names, just all that indie shit. People who don’t believe, who are just getting a little career out of it so they can go to the pub with a mate and go [puts on a feminine voice], “Oooh, I’ve been on Top Of The Pops.” It ain’t about that.

You have expressed an interest in working with Jay-Z and he feels the same way. What’s stopping it?
If he wants to do a tune with me and he rings me, and I don’t have to do that much and he wants to put my voice on a tune that I like, then, y’know, I’ll do it – but you wouldn’t catch me rapping or anything.

Are you still on the drink and drugs?
Not as much, but if we’re going out for a drink I’ll be the last f*ckin’ one standing mate – I know how to put it away, know what I mean? I don’t do it as much as I used to, but when I go, I f*ckin’ go. Start off with a lager, then get bored of that and hit the tequilas… then that’s it. Not into ales and all that – it’s f*ckin’ Peter Kay tackle that, i’n’t it? Dart-player nonsense. Let’s talk about your new clothing label, Pretty Green – how far back does your love of fashion go?
I wouldn’t say I’m into fashion, know what I mean? It’s just things that look good. I weren’t going round town going, “Oh, look at that material there, that looks good.” We just got on with it. And when the Manchester scene blew up with all the band, I got a bit more involved.

The general election is coming up – who will you vote for?
I’m not telling you. Doesn’t matter who you f*ckin’ vote for – it’ll still be sh*t unless you join a band.

Source: www.shortlist.com

Check out live dates from 'The Vortex', by clicking here.

2 comments

Unknown said...

"What’s been the inspiration for the album?
Same as before. Just annihilating sh*t music."


LIAM LIAM LIAM!!!

Anonymous said...

Hah, Liam is on fire. Great interview!