Breaking News

Alan McGee: 'If There's One Thing Creation Records Wasn't, It Was Boring'



Ahead of next month's premiere of Upside Down, a film about Creation, label founder Alan McGee remembers running out of money, feuding with Kevin Shields and babysitting Mick Hucknall.

Read the full interview here.

Which Creation band were the most hedonistic?

Oasis. By a mile. Primal Scream and House of Love were pretty bad. But you really don't know what Oasis were like …

Are there any Oasis stories that haven't been told?

Loads. I'm always seen as having made a grand, selfless gesture giving Noel that chocolate brown Rolls Royce as a gift. What people don't know is that five minutes before I gave him the car I was sat in it, thinking how nice it was and going, "Why the fuck am I giving this away?" I nearly kept it for myself.

You've fallen out with a lot of bands over the years. Do you think this film helped you bury the hatchet to some extent?

Yeah. I'm not overly fond of tonnes of the music we put out. Some stuff, like Oasis, I love to bits, and I've grown to love Screamadelica again after watching the film. But the film made me realise that I really liked the musicians involved, the people in the bands.

You did once tell me that Oasis were the only people who hadn't turned bitter …

I was telling you that I didn't like any of them any more but that was just talk: this film made me remember that I did like them. Listen, I'm not about to invite a load of them round for tea, but there are people there on that label – your Ed Ball or your Pat Fish, the Jazz Butcher – who will always be 10 out of 10 to me.

Source: www.guardian.co.uk

No comments