Breaking News

Liam Gallagher On The Stone Roses


Beady Eye frontman Liam Gallagher has said that the first album he bought was The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses.

The Stone Roses is the debut album by The Stone Roses, and was released on Silvertone Records in 1989. It cemented the band's reputation among critics, and is still rated by some as one of the most important albums ever. In 2004 an Observer Music Monthly poll consisting of musicians and critics voted the album the greatest of all time, as did the writers of NME in 2006, declaring it to be the greatest British album of all time.

Speaking to Q in a recent interview the singer said "That's the first one I'm going on record saying, I got into music late. Music I thought was for fucking weirdos, I probably got to know about the Roses through Noel or Paul. They always had records, but the Roses was the first one that really I thought was great. The Smiths to me was more studenty. You'd see people round town and it was all quiffs and people riding studenty bikes. That wasn't for me".

Liam was also asked what was the first concert he went to? and replied The Stone Roses at The International 2 in his native Manchester.

"I remember borrowing some money off me mam and buying a ticket off a tout outside. I was on me jacks. All of my mates round that time were into dance music. I remember having two joints rolled and I think I had enough for two beers. Went in there, stood at the back. Thought, "Fucking hell!" Moved down to the front, got in the middle of it a little bit, checked it out and thought, "Right, that's what I wanna do." Ian Brown come on with this mayor bell, I Wanna Be Adored and that, and I thought, I'm having a bit of that. You don't have to wear leather trousers and fucking gel your hair back to be a rock star - The Cure and shit like that. He just looks like he's been fucking snogging a balloon [laughs]. Y'know, lipstick everywhere".

No comments