Breaking News

Noel Gallagher Says It May Be Years Before He Makes Another Album











Last year, the former leader of the pioneering Brit-pop band Oasis launched his new group, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds. But these Birds won’t be flying very long, and that suits its namesake just fine.

“It’s not a band,” stressed Gallagher, 44. “This band will disband in November, and who knows what will happen then? It may be years before I make another album. I’m not asking them to wait around.”

High Flying Birds plays here Tuesday at the Balboa Theatre. The show comes in between Gallagher’s co-headlining shows at the sold-out Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival Saturday and April 21.

Yet, while Gallagher is enthusiastic about his short-lived-by-design new band, he acknowledged High Flying Birds exists only by default, as a result of the famously dysfunctional and combative Oasis having imploded in 2009. The band’s dissolution followed yet another blow-up between Gallagher, the band’s lead guitarist and principal songwriter, and his younger brother, lead singer Liam. (Notoriously volatile, Liam once challenged George Harrison to a fight, via the media, after the ex-Beatle accurately observed that some of Oasis’ songs were -- shall we say --quite derivative.)

Sibling rivalry notwithstanding, had Noel and Liam not buried the hatchet in each other’s skulls — figuratively speaking — it would be Oasis, not the High Flying Birds, now on tour.

But that was before Oasis came crashing to a halt three years ago. It was also before Liam sued Noel last summer, for stating that Oasis had abruptly bagged a 2009 English festival date because Liam was too hung over to sing. The aborted show fueled Noel’s decision to quit the band. Liam, who now leads a group called Beady Eye, was incensed.

“I have taken legal action against Noel Gallagher for statements he made claiming Oasis pulled out of the 2009 V festival ... because I had a hangover,” Liam told The Sun newspaper last year. “That is a lie and I want Oasis fans and others who were at V to know the truth.”

The cause, Liam said, was that he had laryngitis, which was diagnosed by a doctor. Noel’s claims of drunkenness went “way beyond rock’n’roll banter and questioned my professionalism,” Liam charged. “I tried to resolve this amicably but have been left with no choice but legal action. All I want is an apology.”

Noel did apologize, albeit reluctantly.

However, the wording of his mea culpa implied his younger brother couldn’t sing at the V festival because he had laryngitis and was hung over.

“I guess the worst gig I ever did would have to be the one where I got attacked on stage and got three of my ribs broken by a drunken maniac — not my brother, I hasten to add,” Noel said. “It was in Toronto in 2007, or 2008, or 2009. I can’t remember.”

Is not playing in Oasis cathartic for Noel, whose self-titled debut album with the mildly psychedelic High Flying Birds came out last fall?

“Yeah,” he replied. “It’s nice to be in the (recording) studio and be able to work at my own pace and dictate the direction for the album and to do what I wanted, when I wanted. It’s nice to be on tour and to know I’m leaving this hotel in 20 minutes, and that the gig will take place. I know it will happen and last for one hour and 50 minutes.

To read the full article click here.

Source: www.utsandiego.com

No comments