Breaking News

Read An Extract From Liam Gallagher's Interview With GQ Australia


The famed Oasis frontman confirms he’s bringing his debut solo sounds – and the kids – Down Under at the end of the year.

In the next issue of GQ Australia - on sale August 28 - swaggering Oasis frontman and King of Manchester, Liam Gallagher, confirms he’s to play Falls Festival this December/January.

The news drops in a wide-ranging – and expletive-laden – piece that also explores his failed sobriety, debut solo album, recent divorce and birth of a lovechild, and his ongoing want to wind up brother Noel.

Elsewhere, Gallagher champions local musos DMAs as well as niche Australian animated series, The Big Lez Show.

Read below an exclusive extract in which the 44 year-old outs his Australian plans – and knowledge of Wagga Wagga GQ Australia’s Sept/Oct ‘Big Style Issue’ is on sale Monday August 28

GQ: Do you think a lot of rock ‘n’ roll frontmen have gone a bit soft?

Liam Gallagher: Oh, yeah, without a doubt. But I don’t think rock ’n’ roll has. It’s always there if you want it. It’s just people are choosing not to do it because apparently, it’s not trendy at the moment...

There’s a lot of these rock ’n’ roll bands, or so-called rock ’n’ roll bands – they’ve got guitars and that but they’re wearing ’em like pieces of jewellery.

Plug the fucking thing in and turn it up. The sounds are meant to be loud, and concerts are gonna be loud, you know what I mean? And some rock ’n’ roll bands are making dance records – they’re sitting on the fence with a foot in the dance world... It’s like, ‘Make your fucking mind up, man’.

Since you’re considered one of the greatest frontmen of our time...

…Yeah. Without a doubt. Without a doubt!

...well, what makes a good frontman – what are these frauds lacking?

Life, man. Life experiences. No one seems to be getting in any trouble or getting ... I mean, I guess, it’s getting in trouble and getting out of it. They just seem to be doing a gig and going home. And that ain’t happening for me. Obviously, I’ve calmed down a lot from when I was 20 and 30 and that... Just these young bands today, man...

… a lot of people would say the same about what’s being produced in Australia.

I don’t know much about Australian music – I know there’s that band DMAs, I went to see them a couple of weeks ago, and I like what I see. Man, they got some good tunes in there. But I think everyone seems to be going’ to bed after the gig, you know what I mean? No one’s going out, fucking getting in shit. Maybe it’s to do with the drugs. Maybe the drugs are shit? And the beer’s watered down, and all...

It’s been a few years since you were in Australia. How do you look back on the times that you’ve been here?

I like it, man. My mate lives out there. He lives in a place called Wagga Wagga or something like that?

Yeah, Wagga Wagga – so good they named it twice.

It’s like the New York of Australia [laughs]. Every time I’ve been out there, it’s been cool. And we’re coming out there, doing the Falls Festival. So, we’re gonna be there for New Year’s Eve. So I can’t wait, man –  love it. It’s beautiful. I’m bringing me two boys out as well, they’re at the age now where they can come and travel.

They’re mad for this stoner cartoon, The Big Lez Show. It’s like a fucking Australian Cheech and Chong. They love a bit of that Australian vibe.

Source: www.gq.com.au

No comments